nbn migration deadline looms for 30,000 premises
Nearly 30,000 homes and businesses across Australia face having their phone lines disconnected this month if they have not yet signed up to the nbn, iiNet has warned.
Premises in Cairns, Coffs Harbour, Wollongong, Western Sydney, Ballarat, Melbourne, Hobart, Adelaide, Perth, Mandurah and Geraldton will reach the copper disconnection deadline on 14 August.
Any homes and businesses that have not yet placed an order for an nbn connection by this time will have their copper phone lines disconnected within 10 working days.
iiNet nbn product manager said any residents that have not yet made the jump to an nbn service will need to act quickly and make a number of key decisions.
“Firstly, they must choose whether they want an internet access service, a phone service or both,” she said. “Secondly, if they use services such as faxes, monitored security alarms, Priority Assistance Services or EFTPOS terminals, they need to speak to the providers of these services to confirm they work on the nbn.”
The final step is to choose an nbn retail service provider, she said. “People do need to make the choice. We really want to ensure they don’t risk losing their phone and internet service before they get the nbn connected.”
The state-owned company behind the nbn rollout, nbn, has been progressively implementing mandatory migration deadlines since May last year. So far this year more than 175,000 premises across Australia have hit the migration deadline.
The nbn is continuing to see high usage over its network as a result of the COVID-19 lockdown...
Complaints to the TIO related to not having a working phone or internet service surged nearly 70%...
Peak throughput over the nbn access network grew to a record-high 13.9 Tbps on Wednesday due to...