Fires prompt reminder to ditch faulty chargers
A couple of recent fires sparked by charging devices have prompted Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) to urge consumers to replace faulty items as soon as they show signs of deterioration.
ESV was notified of two fires in the Melbourne’s west last weekend, one in Keilor Park related to an old iPhone charger and another in Braybrook where a vaping device caught fire while charging.
The specific causes of the incidents are still being determined, but ESV says it is regularly involved in investigations involving fires started by damaged, worn and old charger cables.
The most common reasons for wear on charger cables include being bent or jammed for long periods against objects such as walls, couches, beds or bedside tables.
Issues can also arise when cables are twisted or exposed to heat sources, such as candles and cooktops, as well as devices that have been connected to non-compliant chargers.
The main issues associated with damaged cables are fires, rather than electric shocks, as most charger cables operate at a safe low voltage.
ESV urges regular examination of cables and immediate disposal if there is discolouration, melting and fraying of the insulation to the cable or at the connector.
All electronic device users are urged to charge devices with the chargers and cables that were originally supplied with the item and ensure it is connected firmly to the plug.
Telstra and Ericsson have completed the world's first live deployment of Ericsson Private 5G...
Broadband and mobile prices have increased in 2020–21, with consumers not using the extra...
Enterprise mobility solutions provider SOTI has launched a new platform allowing organisations to...