nbn data use jumps by almost 25%
Data released today by NBN Co show a dramatic rise in broadband data use by households, with overall data consumption increasing by almost 25% in the last 12 months.
According to the company, the rise can be attributed at least partly to a rise in the number of internet-connected home devices and more video streaming.
Here are some of the findings from the data:
- Australians consumed more than 1.35 billion GB of data in June this year.
- Time video streaming dominates data consumption, with web browsing coming a close second.
- Between December 2012 and June 2019 download consumption per month on the nbn access network has increased by 820%.
- New South Wales is the largest data consumer and had the greatest year-on-year increase in data consumption, jumping by 31.2%.
- Queenslanders are the highest data consumers on average, downloading around 274 GB of data per month.
- The city/regional divide is closing, with regional average monthly use being 246 GB per user compared to 270 GB in metro.
- Wednesdays and Sundays are the busiest days on the network.
“Access to fast broadband services is driving a change in the way we interact online, especially as connected devices, streaming services and flexible working arrangements become the norm,” said NBN Co Chief Technology Officer Ray Owen.
“We expect these numbers to continue to grow as more and more homes and business connect to the network.”
“Australia’s hunger for data continues to grow thanks to the increasing amount of modern technology in most Australian homes today — including smart home entertainment systems, subscription video on demand (SVOD), broadcast video on demand (BVOD) gaming consoles, computers and tablets,” said Telsyte Managing Director Foad Fadaghi.
“The domestic market for Internet of Things at Home (IoT@Home) is forecast to reach $5.3 billion by 2023, and more than half of the households in Australia have already started their smart home journey with at least one IoT@Home product installed at the end of last year,” Fadaghi added.
Smaller providers are slowly taking market share away from incumbent nbn retail service providers...
NBN Co cut its service activations target for FY20 by 500,000 premises, but CEO Stephen Rue...
Telstra has joined a growing number of nbn retail service providers in calling for NBN Co to...